Thursday 17 March 2011

First vintage dress success

I bought my first ever vintage dress pattern from shellmakeyouflip a while ago. And like other vintage patterns I thought this too would need a lot of alterations but for some reason it actually only needed a few. I shortened the bodice pieces by 2 cm (0.8 inches) and widened the hips by 8 cm (3.1 inches). Now the measurements shown on the pattern were really way too little for me but I decided to go ahead and make the first muslin with the original measurements (minus the length). And it fit! I then had to make the dress right away but didn't have the best fabric for it. I did however have a fabric that I wanted to make into a nighty. So I decided to test the pattern and make that into a nightgown. I made view B (without the pockets though) and it came out pretty nice! Now there are some nasty looking seams but I thought since this is only a dress I'll be wearing asleep it don't matter (lol). Instead of the side zipper I sew a couple of poppers on it. I didn't hem the dress (boo me!) because the fabric didn't really require it. And I like the way it flows around my ankles.

While thrifting yesterday I found a fabric to make this dress into a proper summer dress. The lace I'm planning to use is actually one of my grannys old doilies.

***

Ostin ensimmäisen vintagekaavani vähän aikaa sitten Etsystä ja tein siitä koeversion yöpukuna. Vintagekaavoista varoitellaan usein, että niiden kokomerkinnät eivät ole nykykokojen mukaisia ja ne vaativat paljon muokkausta. No itse odotin ihan samaa. Kaava oli mitoiltaan pari kokoa liian pieni ja näin jo kauhukuvia siitä, mitä kaikkea joudunkaan siinä muokkaamaan. Tein kuitenkin koeversion muuttamalla vain pituutta, josta otin 2 cm pois. Ja se sopi! Täydellisesti jopa! Joten eikun tekemään toinen versio vähän kesäisemmästä kankaasta, jonka löysin Pelastusarmeijan kirppikseltä muutamalla eurolla. Saan samalla mummin vanhan pitsiliinan uusiokäyttöön mekon miehustassa.

No comments:

Post a Comment