Friday 18 March 2011

Book treat

The McCall dress is coming along nicely, allready finished the top part! But while watiting for the whole dress to come along I thought I'd share some pics with you. I found an old Finnish school book from 1957 called Tyttöjen käsityöt (Crafts for girls in English) by Eeva Haavisto. It has great illustrations and instructions on all kinds of crafts, even bobbing lace. And it shows the construction of five different button holes! I didn't even know there was that many! The texts in the pictures are in Finnish, but I hope you can read the illustrations. Some of the pictures came out a little blueish, sorry about that.


How to make a pentagram slit.


Buttonholes made out of fabric strips.

How to sew a belt loop.

***

Löysin antikvariaatista hienon vanhan käsityökirjan vuodelta 1957 nimeltä Tyttöjen käsityöt. Kirjassa on kerrottu kuvin ja tekstein miten ommella, neuloa, nyplätä pitsiä (!) ja kutoa. Kirja on käsinompelun kannalta todellinen aarreaitta, sillä koneompelu saa siinä vain pienen kappaleen osakseen. Tämän kirjan jälkeen on turha enää selittää, ettei osaa ommella esimerkiksi pirtavyöripsua, ristikkopohjaista Raja-Karjalan reikäommelta tai viisikantahalkiota.

***

"The Tune of Time" Don't you just love the dress here? I know I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment